The Medical Center of Aurora is located at 1501 South Potomac Street, Aurora, CO. Critical Care and Pulmonary Consultants, P.C. is an independent group of physicians who have been providing intensivist (ICU specialists), hospitalist, and pulmonary services for the Medical Center of Aurora since 1995. We were at the forefront nationally of implementing both “State of the Art” ICU and Hospitalist care models. Our hospitalists and intensivists are present in the hospital 24 hours per day in order to be readily available to care for you or your loved ones. Our focus has been, and continues to be, providing the highest quality of care to the patients we serve. In this capacity, we have worked closely with hospital administration to develop quality of care programs and communication tools with primary care physicians.
Since 1995, Critical Care and Pulmonary Consultants has staffed the ICU at the Medical Center of Aurora with fellowship trained intensive care unit specialists. Since 2002, our doctors have covered the ICU with an in-house presence 24/7. All critically ill patients are managed or co-managed (with primary physicians or hospitalists) throughout their ICU stay. The Medical Center of Aurora ICU is compliant with the highest standards of ICU care as outlined by the “Leapfrog Group”.
We have been instrumental in developing and implementing care improvement in the following areas:
- Treatment for sepsis and shock
- Rapid Response for unstable patients on the medical or surgical floors
- Acute stroke care including procedures for breaking up an acute blood clot causing a stroke (TPA therapy)
- Best practice for respirator management for Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome and protocols to prevent of ventilator associated pneumonia
- Deep venous thrombosis prevention
- Daily ICU multidisciplinary rounds (M-F) with nursing, PT, OT, Speech Therapy, Case Management, Respiratory Therapy, infection control, pharmacy, and dietary services to coordinate and organize your daily care.
- Prevention of ICU stress ulcers.
- Treatment, management, and prevention of bed sores.
- Protocols to optimize prevention of central intravenous line infections.
- Director of ICU services
The Medical Center of Aurora has been staffed by our hospitalists since 1995. We are board certified internal medicine and family medicine specialists. We work closely with the emergency room physicians to organize and direct your care upon hospital admission. We also work closely with nursing and case management throughout your hospital stay and at discharge to optimize your care. Our hospitalists are in the hospital 24/7 to provide timely care for you during your acute hospital stay.
We are proud to say we are involved in the following ways to improve your hospital care:
- Round and visit at least daily with patients.
- Meet monthly with the hospital administration to improve patient care and implement state of the art protocols.
- Participation in implementing compliance and care measures for patients with heart failure, community acquired pneumonia, and acute myocardial infarction.
- Members of the Rapid Response Team.
- Members of multiple committees involved in improving patient care examples include:
- Quality Management
- Pharmacy and Therapeutics
- Patient throughput
- Critical Care
- Neurologic Services
- Cardiac Services
- Inpatient Service Line
- Medical Executive Committee
- Engage in daily discharge rounds with the discharge planning with case management including a morning discharge protocol.
- Communicate with your primary care physician at discharge to ensure that they are aware of your new medical issues and hospital stay.